CB radios are not only great fun to have on the road, but an indispensable tool for drivers and boating enthusiasts to have while traveling. CB stands for “Citizens Band” radio. CB radio services had their beginning in the ‘60s, at a time when there was no internet or portable smartphones. The only way individuals could keep in touch with their loved ones on the road was through the CB radio.
Although they used to serve professionals serving in the emergency services, CB radios have become far more widespread since. They are nowadays used as a replacement for more than a handful of communication devices that people used to employ. They may not be as versatile as mobile phones, but they can still be used for medium to long-range communication. Here’s a look at some of the best CB radios.
- Features to Consider in Good CB Radios
- Top 30 Best CB Radios 2020
- 1. Cobra 29LX Professional CB Radio
- 2. Uniden Bearcat 980 40-Channel SSB CB Radio
- 3. Uniden Bearcat 880 40-Channel SSB CB Radio
- 4. Galaxy DX-959 40-Channel AM/SSB Mobile CB Radio with Frequency Counter
- 5. Midland 75-822 40 Channel CB-Way Radio
- 6. Cobra 18WXSTII CB Radio – 40 Channel Sound Tracker
- 7. Uniden PRO510XL Pro Series 40-Channel CB Radio
- 8. Midland 5001Z 40-Channel Mobile CB with Switchable Noise Filter
- 9. Uniden PC787 Bearcat CB Radio
- 10. Cobra 29NW Professional CB Radio
- 11. Uniden PC78LTX 40-Channel Trucker’s CB Radio with Integrated SWR Meter
- 12. Uniden Bearcat 680 CB Radio with Ergonomic Pistol Grip Mic
- 13. AnyTone AT-5555N Amateur Radio
- 14. Cobra C75WXST Handheld CB Radio – NOAA Radio
- 15. Cobra 25LTD Professional CB Radio
- 16. Uniden PC78LTD 40-Channel CB Radio
- 17. Uniden PRO505XL 40-Channel CB Radio
- 18. Midland 1001Z 40-Channel CB Radio
- 19. President McKinley USA 40-Channel CB Radio
- 20. Cobra HHRT50 Road Trip CB Radio
- 21. Midland 1001LWX 40 Channel Mobile CB
- 22. Galaxy DX-949 40 Channel AM/SSB Mobile CB Radio
- 23. Galaxy DX-979 40 Channel AM/SSB Mobile CB Radio
- 24. Galaxy DX-33HP2 Mobile Ham Radio
- 25. Stryker SR-25MC Amateur Radio
- 26. President JFK II A+ Amateur Radio AM FM Transceiver
- 27. TR-199MKI 40 Channel AM Mobile CB Radio
- 28. Uniden PRO520XL Pro Series 40 Channel CB Radio
- 29. President Johnny III USA 40 Channel CB Radio
- 30. Cobra Electronics CBR29LTDCHR 40-Channel CB Radio
- Guide to Buying the Best CB Radios
- The Verdict
Features to Consider in Good CB Radios
The CB radio is a transceiver that can be used by anyone for business or personal reasons. Transceiver means that the CB can be used to send and receive messages. It shouldn’t be confused with the Amateur Radio Service, or HAM operators, the CB radio is used the world over as a way to communicate by way of utilizing 40 channels within the 27MHz band.
CB radios can transmit only one station at a time. This means that while they are chatting, you must sit back, listen and wait for your turn. For this reason, along with many others, CB users have created their own vocabulary that they use to communicate with each other on the road.
Types of CB Radios
CB radios can be categorized into four different classes as follows.
Mobile CB Radio
This is the most common type of CB radio that comes in many different sizes. It looks like a small box with plenty of knobs and a microphone attached to the front. The features depend on the models and the brands, so choose the one that will fulfill your requirements. Vehicles like using the mobile and the all-in-handset units.
All-in-Handset CB Radio
Shaped like a handset, these devices are compact and ergonomically designed to feature all the controls into a small space. They are so easy to operate, and you can control all the dials with just one hand. These are the most appropriate choices for smaller vehicles or for places where it’ll be difficult to mount a full-size unit.
Handheld CB Radio
These are styled like walkie-talkies and run on batteries. Some models come with rechargeable battery packs so you can use them when you are mobile. Nevertheless, you can also use them in vehicles as most of the units have a cigarette cord and jacks for an adapter and a CB antenna.
Base Station CB Radio
These are the best devices for indoor use because they come with a built-in power supply. The units draw their power directly from a wall outlet (usually 110V). You’ll need a good base antenna and mount it up very high to get the optimum performance.
The Benefits of CB Radios
Here are some of the reasons you should get yourself a CB radio.
You Get Updates on the Go
CB radios are easy to install in your automobile, making it easier to get weather, travel, and traffic updates on the go. They’re also effective for having warnings if there are any upcoming safety or hazards weather. With a CB radio, you can avoid the traffic jam on the highway and plan your trip following the weather conditions.
CB Radios Operate at Low Frequencies
CB radios can operate at low frequencies which allows you to listen to voice messages and communicate with others in the narrow band. For example, you can easily transmit a signal at 151MHz that isn’t possible with other types of radios.
Come in Handy During Emergency Situations
CB radios are an excellent medium of communication emergencies. Lots of people prefer them because there’s no need to apply for a license for operating the radio. You can use the device for coordinating a response, reporting during disaster and crises, and chatting with other users while driving on the road.
A Popular Hobby
Many people take chatting and transmitting their own programs through CB radios as a hobby. As the devices are inexpensive, anyone can buy a unit and form a group to share messages. The data transmission is encrypted so you don’t have to worry about other people overhearing your conversations.
Top 30 Best CB Radios 2020
The Cobra 29LX Professional CB Radio features four selectable colors (red, blue, green, and amber) on the display system. The dimmer helps to adjust the brightness during the dark, especially when you are on a night drive. It’s amazing that it automatically locks into 10 NOAA weather channels to provide an emergency weather alert and warn the driver at times of severe climatic conditions efficiently. The additional clock/alarm facility comes extremely handy for professional drivers. This CB radio is quality assured weather channel CB radio for your truck or car.
- It offers high-quality performance.
- It has an excellent multi-colored display.
- It has an enhanced voice quality.
- It provides good incoming signal clarity.
- It’s easy to install.
- It's oversized and can cause inconvenience for radio placement in a small space.
The Uniden Bearcat 980 features brilliant backlit keys and illuminating and colorful display. These offer high visibility and visual appeal. The most avishing feature of the item is the Unique Single Side Band and weather capability which offers high performance even at long distances. The advanced weather scan technology warns the drivers of the impending weather conditions on the way. The weather push button gives you an update of the weather condition in your area making it an impressive feature for truck drivers. Besides, this CB radio offers an advanced feature set for an impressively low price. It’s also compatible with wireless mics that will help you use it even without using your hands.
- It has a large display.
- It can be easily adjusted.
- It has an advanced weather band alert.
- It has a high signal transmission even at long distance.
- It features an adjustable backlit display.
- It has high visibility.
- It comes with an extra-long mic cord.
- Using it roughly may loosen the knobs.
The Uniden Bearcat 880 CB Radio offers a visual experience to the customers with its brilliant seven color backlighting and a large easy-to-read display. It’s very convenient during late night trips as the dimmer allows the user to adjust the brightness during day and night. This radio is compatible with Uniden’s CB microphone which works on the wireless. You will easily get the range up to 10-miles with this killer CB radio. The weather options are also outstanding and very easy to use too. Besides, this radio features a noise-canceling mic that clears off the noise obstructions in the surroundings and offers a clear voice service. The extra-long mic cord also becomes handy for professional truck drivers.
- It comes with a large display.
- It has seven-color backlighting.
- It’s long.
- This CB radio features instant weather update and an enhanced weather scan facility.
- It has a laser etched easy-to-read choice.
- It’s not recommended for users who dislike super bright flashy display.
The Galaxy DX-959 is one of the top-rated long range CB radio which is known for great signal reception. You can easily talk up to 15-miles with some customization. Truck drivers will love using this radio thanks to its voice clarity and the stylish but easy interface. The stock mic that comes along with the CB does a good job. It’s highly recommended for truck drivers and cars.
- It’s flashy and has a high visual appeal.
- It offers a long-range SSB performance.
- It comes with good signal reception.
- It has outstanding voice clarity.
- It features an easy-to-read display.
- It’s not suitable for the highly rough terrain.
This Midland 75-822 40 Channel CB radio has a dual feature that facilitates the user to use two preferred channels simultaneously. The enhanced weather radio delivers weather reports on a frequent basis. It doesn’t lack the normal features that come with all the top rated CBs nowadays. Its construction is so unique that you can perfectly slip it into the car docking base. Moreover, the backlit function facilitates the user to operate the device at any time of day. The alluring package also includes AC wall adapter, rechargeable, and alkaline battery compartment, mobile adapter and antenna.
- It’s ultra-compact.
- It’s lightweight and portable.
- It features a dual watch monitor.
- It has an enhanced weather scan facility.
- It comes with instant channels, is simple and user-friendly.
- This CB radio is mostly preferred for occasional use.
The Cobra CB Radio features an in-built weather scan technology that facilitates the user to be aware of the imminent dangers on the way. The dual watch facility allows the user to watch two preferred channels simultaneously. It also facilitates the last channel retention for your convenience. The user-friendly CB radio offers a large and easy-to-read display for the users. Furthermore, the PA switching sound to be beneficial for professional truck drivers to make a public address in an emergency. It has a long microphone cord of approximately 9-feet.
- It features an excellent display.
- It has a dual watch facility.
- This CB radio retains the last channel.
- It has a dynamic microphone.
- It has a compact design.
- It has an easy-to-read facility.
- The in-line fuse requires proper maintenance.
This ultra-compact CB radio has its microphone positioned at the front with an extra-long coiled cord for convenience. The device has a striking RF Gain that offers striking voice clarity in a noisy environment. With its limited number of knobs and dials, it offers smooth operation. Moreover, this high-quality CB radio offers a good range when tuned properly. The transmissions are crisp and clear and the package includes a microphone, mounting bracket, and mounting hardware. It lacks some of the key features like instant Channel 9/19, weather channels, PA, etc. However, this isn’t meant for hardcore CB enthusiasts. This is an affordable CB radio that’s intended for occasional users.
- This is an ultra-compact CB radio.
- It’s the best choice for rough conditions.
- It provides an excellent transmission of signals.
- You get an assured voice clarity.
- It has an accurate frequency control.
- There are a limited number of knobs and dials making it easy-to-use.
- It can only function with an external antenna.
- It’s not recommended for flashy radio lovers.
The Midland 5001Z Mobile CB with Switchable Noise Filter comes with solid controls and the great price might be what attracts people to this CB radio. You can easily talk within 5-miles range. However, if you’re a CB geek, you can peak and tune this radio to get at least a 10-mile range. The only downside of this CB radio is it’s PA system. If you’re in a crowded area, there are slim chances that you might properly hear what the other person is saying.
- It’s a simple and solid CB radio.
- It comes with solid controls for ease of use.
- It’s quite affordable.
- It can be tuned to get a 10-mile range signal.
- The PA system is quite poor. If you’re in a crowded area, there are slim chances that you’ll properly hear what the other person is saying.
The Uniden PC787 Bearcat CB radio gives you a clean layout on the front showing you exactly what each button and knob does with a backlit blue color. It has important features such as an integrated SWR meter (which also helps you to match your antenna perfectly), mic and RF gain, instant weather alerts, noise blanker, automatic noise limiter, instant channel 9 and 19, and the full 40 CB channels. The extra-large displays on both ends allow you to easily see the signal strength you’re receiving, and also which channel you’d like to select. Bottom buttons allow you to adjust the squelch volume, tone volume, microphone gain, and most importantly, the main volume.
- It’s compatible with a wireless mic for up to 100 yards.
- It has an extra-large display on both ends.
- It has important features such as an integrated SWR meter among others.
- It has a sleek design and color scheme.
- The quality isn’t as great.
The Cobra 29NW Professional CB Radio has a classic look and is well equipped with an array of stunning features that will tempt any hardcore CB lover. The Nightwatch is one such feature. It will keep you from turning the wrong knobs in the dark. Thanks to the full illumination in the front panel display. The CB comes with an inbuilt SWR meter and has an Instant Channel 9 and 19. In a nutshell, this CB offers one of the best deals for the money when it comes to CB radio.
- It has a classic look.
- It has a Nightwatch feature that allows you to use it in the dark.
- It comes with an in-built SWR meter ensures the optimum antenna performance.
- It features the instant Channel 9 and 19.
- It’s affordable.
- The dials and knobs are tactile.
- It covers all the 40 CB channels.
- The mic’s performance is below average.
The Uniden PC78LTX 40-Channel Trucker’s CB Radio features multiple adjustments that allow you to fine-tune the signal and sound, for excellent clarity. You can change the squelch control settings and the ANL/Noise Blanker option to reduce static and enjoy clear sound. It’s also possible to adjust the microphone to control the mic sensitivity. Furthermore, the PC78LTX features an integrated SWR meter, a PA function and instant Channel 9 and 19 in case of emergencies.
- It comes with an integrated SWR meter.
- It features Instant Channel 9 and 19 for emergencies.
- You can adjust the microphone to control its sensitivity.
- You can adjust the squelch control settings and the ANL option to reduce static and enjoy clear sound.
- Some users have complained that it doesn’t tune.
The Uniden Bearcat 680 features a 6-pin microphone that comes with a long cord, with noise canceling ability which allows those hearing you do so with clarity, static free. There’s also an option to use a wireless microphone as well. This CB radio will keep you alert to traffic and weather warning as you driver or sail. The dynamic squelch control, mic gain, and noise blanker give you unprecedented clarity in audio. The Bearcat 680 has an extra-large display which makes adjustments easy, and the seven color backlight display includes the radio channel and radio signal strength. The backlight allows you to easily see the controls even at night. It also has an NOAA weather channel and a CB/PA switch.
- It covers the full 40 CB channels.
- It comes with the instant Channel 9/19 for emergencies.
- It has a large digital display.
- You can easily switch between PA and CB.
- It’s compatible with a wireless mic.
- It may not be suitable for users who don’t like flashy displays.
This 28MHz CB radio has SSB, AM, and FM, with a programmable frequency range of 28.000 to 29.700MHz. It features a Frequency Control Phase Locked Loop Synthesizer, and a push to talk microphone with a coiled cord. This CB radio comes with quite a large LCD display that aids in seeing the controls in dim light. It has FM, AM, USB, LSB, and PA modes, along with frequency tuning stop. You’ll find that the menu function and software are flexible and easy to use. This model also comes with a scan function, a programmable RB function, and an NB/ANL feature. There’s also a Beep voice prompt along with SWR protection.
- It has a large LCD display.
- It supports FM, AM, USB, LSB, and PA modes.
- It has a flexible menu function.
- It features a beeping voice prompt.
- It comes with a scan function and a programmable RB function.
- It doesn’t have the best build quality.
The Cobra C75WXST has two parts – a microphone featuring all the control buttons and a built-in speaker, and a small remote connector box. Additionally, it has a jack for an external speaker, a power line, and a jack for a coax cable. It features an LCD that has a backlight for bright and clear visibility. The readings appear in the black color that seems easy to read on the neutral background. This CB radio covers all the 40 stations with loud and clear audio. Its unique SoundTracker System is able to reduce background noise by 90% for more transparent communication. Furthermore, the built-in NOAA radio receiver gives you immediate access to all the 10 weather channels. Therefore, you’ll always be updated when there are imminent weather hazards or emergencies.
- It fits into your hand.
- You can mount it anywhere as it takes a small space.
- It covers all the 40 channels.
- It has built-in NOAA weather channels.
- This CB radio seems expensive compared to the full-size units.
- The sound quality is poor unless you use an external speaker.
The Cobra 25LTD Professional CB Radio is a full-featured radio unit. It has a rugged construction with a plastic body and chrome faceplate. It has a power connector, an external speaker jack, and a socket for a PA horn in the backside. The front has all the control knobs and buttons, a display for showing the channel number, and an analog screen with backlight for S/RF meter control. This CB radio comes with a front panel mic connector that makes in-dash installation a breeze. The 9-feet cord allows you to move freely anywhere inside a vehicle without disrupting the communication. Besides, this device comes with tactile controls that allow more accurate and safe change of functions without taking your eyes off the road.
- It’s quite affordable.
- It features tactile controls.
- It has a front panel mic connector.
- The dials could have better resistance.
- It doesn’t have many extra features.
The Uniden PC78LTD 40-Channel CB Radio is a solid unit that looks beautiful with a black plastic body and knobs and dials with silver accents. The black panel is traditional as it houses the power socket and ports for PA and external speaker. The front side has a mic connector, and the 9-inch long mic cable gives you the freedom to move a bit while talking with other CB users. There’s a bright LED channel indicator that shows the digits in red light. You have no chance to miss it whether it’s daytime or night. There’s also an analog S/RF meter control with a backlight on the front panel. The backlit control knobs are excellent for nighttime visibility. Moreover, the dials and switches are tactile so you can operate them in the dark and without taking your eyes off the road.
- It has a classy design.
- The control knobs have backlight for nighttime visibility.
- The dials and buttons are tactile.
- It’s made in Japan.
- The control dials seem to have little resistance.
The Uniden PRO505XL CB Radio features a black plastic body and small knobs. These are appealing to the modern radio operators who aren’t interested in the chrome faceplate and large dials. The rear part has jacks for an external speaker PA and antenna. The power cord is hardwired to the device. The front panel has a simple layout with a few control options, a screen, and a mic connector. The mic cord has plenty of stretchable wire for convenient use. The digital LCD shows the readings in thick black digits, and it has an orange backlight too. There’s no chance for you to miss out any information even if it’s dark in the cabin. Moreover, this unit comes with a PA jack to connect to a PA speaker, and a socket to plug into an external speaker for better sound. There’s a dedicated button for the Channel 9 so that you face no hassle while contacting others in case of emergency.
- The radio is compact and fits in a small space.
- It covers all the 40 channels.
- It’s quite affordable.
- It’s for beginners and the stock mic is of low quality.
The Midland 1001Z CB Radio is entirely made of plastic and has almost no weight to it. It’s inexpensive, and it does look cheap from its wobbly construction. Nonetheless, it will serve well unless you have not planned to pull off a Gone in 60 Seconds stunt. The front side of the device has several control options including a Power On/Off switch, a CB/PA button that allows switching between a CB mode and a public address system through an additional PA speaker, an RF Gain to adjust reception sensitivity, and a dial for Squelch control. It doesn’t have any LCD. Instead, there’s a small screen for showing the selected channel in a green light, and a basic design LCD indicator to show the signal strength. As an entry-level unit, the 1001Z doesn’t have plenty of properties. However, you’ll have instant access to Channel 9 but you’ll have to manually scan every time to get Channel 19.
- It has a compact figure and a no-frills design.
- It has a dedicated button for switching between the CB and PA system.
- Instant access to Channel 9.
- It’s reasonably priced for an entry-level CB radio.
- The switches and channel knobs feel flimsy.
President McKinley USA 40-Channel CB radio features a crystal-clear LED display that can be viewed at any time of day regardless of the weather conditions or the visibility. Furthermore, it benefits from a presentation feature designed to point out the exact channel you’re operating along with a 5-digit recurrence counter for good measure. This is intended to give you a lot more freedom when operating the device in areas with lots of interference. Moreover, this CB radio features Mic and RF Gain controls, automatic SWR readings, and automatic squelch control.
- It features automatic SWR readings as well as Mic and RF Gain controls.
- It can access both AM and SSB modes.
- It has an LED display that can be viewed at any time of the day.
- It’s small and compact.
- The buttons are a bit difficult to navigate.
The Cobra HHRT50 Road Trip Radio is a fairly popular CB radio by most standards. It performs frequency changes very fast and without complicating things. What makes this lightweight CB radio interesting is the fact that it can be set to memorize certain frequencies to be used later on at the user’s convenience. Moreover, this CB radio can also switch between emergency channels and regular medium/long-range frequencies. Overall, it’s one of the most practical yet compact CB radios out there.
- It’s compact but practical.
- This CB radio can store certain frequencies for later use.
- It can switch between emergency channels and regular medium/long-range frequencies.
- It’s fast yet simple.
- The reception has been found to be quite poor.
The Midland 1001LWX Mobile CB radio has a compact size that makes it ideal for truckers. The basic feature set makes it perfect for everyone else, from beginners to advanced CB radio users. All 40 standard CB radio channels are available along with 4W of output power for around five miles of range. A channel locking system helps stick to the channel of your choice even as the Midland consistently scans nearby weather channels and provides emergency notifications and weather alerts. To increase reception, you have complete control over RF gain, plus an automatic noise limiter also helps to improve a weak signal. The CB radio also doubles as a PA system and switching between both functionalities is as easy as flipping a switch.
- It doubles as a PA system.
- It’s easy to switch between PA and radio.
- It features RF gain controls and an automatic noise limiter to help improve a weak signal.
- It's ideal for both beginners and experienced CB users.
- The quality isn’t that great.
The DX-949 features a variable power output, a variable talkback circuit, and an on/off switch. It has a two-digit display whose large yellow digits make it easy to use even in the dark. There’s a variable dimmer control with a push switch that turns off the display for ease of communication. The proprietary Galaxy Noise Filter (GNF) circuit helps reduce noise aiding in the recovery of weak SSB signals.
- It has a powerful cordless impact.
- It fits into more places.
- It’s energy efficient.
- There are no wearable components.
- The frequency counter has to be bought separately.
The Galaxy DX-979 features a dimming control along with variable power control. There’s also a variable talkback control and a clarifier control used for tuning in stations. Moreover, this CB radio features an SWR modulation and power switch that controls the meter functions. The meter is very large compared to other models in the market.
- It has a compact design that contains a full range of features.
- It has a single sideband capability in USB/LSB modes.
- The blue backlit display eliminates eye fatigue at night.
- It may require mic modification.
The Galaxy DX-33HP2 is a high-performance 10-meter radio that has a squelch feature for eliminating receiver background noises. Only strong signals can be heard if this is turned to the maximum setting. The echo on this unit is controlled by a three-position switch on the top row. The talkback function is also controlled by the same switch.
- It has a 3-position switch for controlling echo and talkback.
- AM/FM operations are included.
- The variable dimmer control allows you to turn down light intensity.
- The compact design fits easily in tight spaces.
- It doesn't cover the entire 10-meter band and sideband.
The Stryker SR-25MC is a remarkably simple amateur radio. This radio is turned on using the volume knob and control the channel using the microphone. There’s no way to change channels on this radio, so you’ll have to become creative with an aftermarket mic. This radio comes with a squelch, RF power, and mic gain functions among others.
- It’s small, compact and has high power.
- It features 40 CB regular channels.
- It has a large LCD display with various backlight color options.
- It’s easy to navigate radio channels.
- Channels can only be changed through the mic.
The President JFK II Transceiver comes with the channel 9/19 button in case of emergency situations. It also features the Roger beep function denoted by a small musical note symbol at the top right-hand corner of the radio display. There are other numerous features that come with this CB radio including AM/FM, SWR, RF Gain, and RF Power among others.
- It has a large LCD multifunction meter and display.
- It comes with an automatic squelch setting.
- It has hands free VOX function.
- It’s a compact design that fits in tight areas.
- It doesn’t have the SSB function.
The TR-199MKI is incorporated with a four-pin mic that’s mounted on the front panel with standard wiring. It has a brushed aluminum look on the front panel and comes with a heavy-duty aluminum and steel chassis. This design will fit comfortably in your desired space. There are numerous radio control functions, including mic gain, RF gain, squelch/volume, and SWR calibrate among others.
- It has a 4-pin mic jack on the front panel.
- The standard size chassis is suitable for cubbies.
- There are lots of radio control functions.
- It’s easy to navigate the control knobs.
- The meter and display are smaller.
The Uniden PRO520XL features an auto-squelch and a built-in automatic noise limiter for noise elimination. You can use the signal/RF meter plus the LED indicators to monitor activity and channel 9 to access emergency services. This radio allows you to connect external speakers and to use PA/CB switch as a PA system. Thanks to the front positioning of the microphone and the extra-long coiled cord, it’s easy to use.
- It can be used as a PA system.
- It has a small and compact design.
- It has RF gain control.
- It doesn’t filter out static and electrical interference.
The President Johnny III CB radio boasts of a large number of built-in features despite its size. It comes in a very compact design that helps you save on space. There are features such as the NB, ASC, Scan, Roger Beep, Weather Alert and more in this CB radio. Moreover, it comes with the regular 40 CB channels.
- It has the 40 regular CB channels.
- It’s small and compact but with lots of features.
- It has a selectable backlight color.
- The quality isn’t that great.
The Cobra 29LTDCHR sports a stylish cabinet design that makes it both durable and attractive. It also has all the features you’d expect to find in a quality model. Being Bluetooth compatible, users can also control incoming and outgoing calls. There’s a warning indicator light to adjust and monitor the antenna system in addition to the SWR calibration. For loud and clear communication, this CB radio features RF Gain and Dynamike boost. Moreover, it comes with the 40 regular CB channels and immediate access to emergency channel 9.
- It routes phones through the radio speaker.
- It offers instant access to emergency channels.
- It’s Bluetooth compatible.
- It’s attractive and durable.
- It’s hard to grip some knobs.
Guide to Buying the Best CB Radios
A CB radio carries plenty of technical attributes which are not familiar to the common people. New users may, therefore, find buying a CB radio to be quite confusing. Consequently, here are some of the best tips you can use to get the best CB for you.
It’s rather obvious that CB radios are not everyone’s cup of tea. You should consider these vital points before picking one for your vehicle.
- Large-sized CB radios consume a great deal of space. Heavy vehicles like trucks will have the best usage of these types of radios.
- Alternatively, compact CB radios are advisable for light motor vehicles including Jeeps.
- If you are looking for greater mobility, then go for an all-in-one ultra-compact CB from a home station. It’s commonly used for industrial purposes.
- You might prefer to use the CB radio as a walkie-talkie or make a walkie-talkie work with CB. It’s better to opt for a handheld CB radio with rechargeable batteries. It’s often recommended for motorcyclists.
Features of High-Quality CB Radios
Having knowledge of the technical features of the device will be an added advantage when looking for the best CB radio. Here are some of the popular features of a CB radio that you should look out for.
Single Side Band (SSB)
This is a mode capability that offers increased CB radio range and low noise interference. By switching to SSB mode, you get an increased transmission range of 12-Watts instead of 4 watts. Moreover, it uses bandwidth more efficiently than the regular AM mode.
Automatic Noise Limiter (ANL)
It offers a clear and loud voice service by filtering out noise interference and obstruction such as engine and traffic noise.
Instant Channels (9 & 19)
This helps to switch to widely used channels. Channel 9 is for emergencies and Channel 19 for the highway.
This alerts the driver by reporting frequent weather updates. Some of them are installed with enhanced weather scan technology to inform drivers in advance.
A backlit display facilitates the user to operate the device even in the dark and keeps them alert all day round.
This function allows the suppression of channel noises when the radio doesn’t receive the transmission. Hence, by turning on the squelch, the user can get rid of the annoying noises in the background.
With a PA speaker, the CB radio can be used as a public address system.
This does a similar function to the squelch control. It reduces noise interference from the surroundings and facilitates a clear and loud radio service.
Some of the CB radios are equipped with a talk-back feature. This facilitates hearing yourself through the speaker of a CB radio.
Your CB radio is a valuable companion to take on the road with you. You don’t have to be a professional trucker or cabbie to benefit from owning one. CB radios are of great help in warning you of possible traffic issues, weather alerts, communication with your business, family, and friends. They are also great in helping you stay awake when taking long road trips.
The best CB radios are also useful for those who love to ride motorcycles, take camping trips, to have in the home, or install on your boat. Having a CB radio means having access to real-time information on the conditions around you. Besides, it’s a lot of fun to own one. We hope that our review can help you in finding the best CB radio for you.