It can always become very difficult to see what you are doing under the hood of your car while changing spark plugs or replacing a serpentine belt. You might want to look into getting an under hood light to illuminate your engine while you’re working on your car. Home mechanics and auto enthusiasts can buy these lights in several different varieties to suit their work environment.
The best under hood work lights do a great job at keeping your engine compartment illuminated while you’re working on it. You don’t have to be particularly handy to use one of these under hood work lights either. Even if you just need a little bit of help seeing your coolant or brake fluid reservoir to keep them filled, these devices can really be a helping hand. This review will present some of the best carport kits on the market that you can choose from.
Features to Consider in Good Under Hood Work Lights
If you already have an under hood work light, the chances are that you already know what works well for you. However, if you’re buying one for the first time, they’ll all seem the same and it can be hard to pick. Consider some of the following points to choose the best one for you.
The overall construction of the light matters a lot and it’s one of the most vital factors to consider when shopping. You not only need to consider the quality of the LED or bulb, but also the plastic housing that houses them. Make sure that you only pick the best materials that the construction looks sturdy enough.
Most under hood work lights are very convenient as they are portable and eliminate the need to deal with annoying cords. Unlike plug-in work lights, cordless work lights will not run infinitely. Therefore, before you choose any light, you should check the quality of the batteries, their size and how much runtime they will provide.
Any light that you choose should provide enough light for you when working, otherwise, it will not be very useful. Hence, it’s also important to consider the brightness when picking your LED work light to ensure it’s bright enough to illuminate the space and is also not too bright.
Underhood work lights are the kind that you’ll want to use from different locations and so it’s also important to consider the weight when shopping. This is the main factor that determines the portability of your work light. A light that’s too heavy will be hard to carry from one job to the other. However, also note that if it’s too light the chances are that it has cheap components.
Top 30 Best Under Hood Work Lights 2019
Why we like it: The Aceland 120 LED under hood work light features a 2000MaH 7.4-Volt battery that delivers up to 3 hours of light at its brightest setting.
This extendable work light is a useful tool for just about any home mechanic. It uses 120 LED lights to give the user a nice bright work area. Since this product can be extended from 50-inches to 72-inches, it can be used to illuminate just about any engine compartment. It uses 2000MaH 7.4-Volt battery that’s designed to deliver up to 3 hours of light at its brightest setting and up to 5 hours with its ½-Lumen setting. The Aceland LED work light is easily charged using the included 9-Volt car charger and AC/DC adapter and is suitable not only as an under hood work light but also for use while camping or while cleaning the interior of your car. You can fold this work light into 45 degrees and put on the ground to use it to change tires or put it away from the car and use it as a warning light.
- It has multifunctional usage and can be used as maintenance lamps, camping lamps, and warning lights.
- It has a long battery life.
- It provides sufficient brightness to illuminate just about any engine compartment.
- You can easily charge it using your car charger or using an AC/DC adapter.
- It doesn’t have the best battery life.
Why we like it: This work light features two brightness settings that can provide little or a lot of illumination, depending on your needs.
The Nightstick SLR-2120 under hood work light is a purpose-built as an all LED, hands-free floodlight for the automotive enthusiast. This rechargeable work light has an adjustable cradle with a pair of spring-loaded, foam-covered grippers that will extend 48-inches to 77-inches to fit on the underside of virtually any automobile hood. The light bar can be rotated 36-degrees to place the lighting exactly where it’s needed. The 2120 has two brightness modes to provide little or a lot of illumination, depending on your needs. You can also easily remove the light bar from the cradle. Each of the handles can independently rotate up and down through more than a 200-degrees range in motion. Besides, there are 3 flush-mounted magnets located at the end of each handle that allows one or both ends of the light bar to be attached to virtually any flat metal surface.
- It allows for hands-free usage.
- It can fit on the underside of virtually any automobile hood.
- It has a rechargeable battery and can run on both AC and DC power.
- It features two brightness settings for low and high illumination.
- It can also stand on its handle ends.
Why we like it: This under hood work light does a great job of illuminating your workspace, but because it’s so bright
The ATD Tools 80357 has 250 SMD LEDs that produce 200-Lumens of bright light ensuring that your workplace is properly illuminated. It has the performance of a corded light with the convenience of a rechargeable light. It has a 40-inch light bar that provides maximum area illumination. The hook on this light bar extends 55-inches to 83-inches to fit new SUVs and light trucks. The large padded covered hooks provide ease of attachment and increased stability. There are two brightness modes: high mode producing 2000-Lumens and low producing 1000-Lumens. The ATD 80357 features a removable 25-foot cord that remains flexible in cold weather and is oil and grease resistant. It has a push button LED battery level indicator.
- The low-power setting is still bright.
- It’s 40-inches wide fitting to provide maximum area illumination.
- It has an LED battery level indicator.
- It has a pretty short battery life: around 1.6 hours on high and 3 hours on low.
Why we like it: This LED light is 20% brighter than your typical halogen lights, plus more economical considering it uses less energy.
The Milwaukee 2360-20 Flood Light produces 3000-lumens of high-definition light and 3 brightness levels that’s perfect for automotive enthusiast and DIYers. It throws a wide, bright beam that can be directed almost anywhere you like thanks to its 240-degree rotating head. Besides the brightest lighting mode, the unit can also be adjusted to shine on medium and low mode. It’s highly convenient as you can place it on any dry surface, plus hang it on multiple orientations thanks to the 2 keyholes in the base. You can use an electric cord or a battery to operate it, however, neither comes with the product.
- It’s 20% brighter.
- It’s a portable flood light.
- It features 3 brightness levels.
- It throws a wide, bright beam that can be directed almost anywhere.
- It’s highly convenient and can be placed on any dry surface.
- The electric cord and battery are not included.
Why we like it: The Caterpillar CT1000 is small, convenient, and bright making it a fantastic choice if you need a portable, lightweight work light.
The CT1000 features COB technology ensuring that it shines brightly without using too much energy. COB increases lumen output per square inch making this portable work light produce 175 lumens of LED light. Therefore, it can illuminate any dark area that you find yourself in. This compact work light can be handheld or attached to surfaces thanks to its magnetic base. This makes it perfect for fixing leaking sinks, repairing vehicles and other detailed and no-so-detailed repair tasks. Using 3 AAA batteries, which are included, the light shines up to 7 hours of continuous use. Although very lightweight, the unit is durable, with a heavy-duty ABS plastic body that’s impact and water resistant.
- It’s very affordable.
- It has a magnetic base for hands-free use.
- It comes with 3 rechargeable alkaline batteries.
- It’s portable.
Why we like it: This is a reliable, compact and super-bright LED work light that’s ideal for jobs that require lots of hands-free illumination.
The Bosch 12-Volt Max work light has 10 LED lights which produce 300-lumens allowing it to cast a wide beam that can brighten any dark work area. It has 2 brightness levels – high for super-bright illumination and dim for longer run time. It has an excellent runtime thanks to Bosch 12-volt batteries, but unfortunately, they don’t come with the product. You get 6 hours of runtime if you’re using a 2.0Ah battery or 12 hours if using 4.0Ah battery. Highly convenient, this unit has a 200-degree articulation and a self-stand bracket that can be positioned at a number of different angles. There are also 2 magnets and a 1/4–inch screw hand for tripod compatibility. Although lightweight, this work light is incredibly durable due to the aluminum and reinforced plastic material used.
- It’s made from durable aluminum and plastic material.
- It’s highly convenient due to the different positioning angles.
- It allows for hands-free usage.
- It’s lightweight making it portable.
- Provides sufficient brightness over a wide angle.
- Some reviewers have found it to be quite costly.
Why we like it: The OEMTools has a high-capacity Lithium-Ion battery, which provides a whopping 9 hours of light that produces a nice and bright light at 1000-lumens, even on full power.
The OEMTools rechargeable multi-use work light produces one of the brightest lights in the market. This light is ideal for both under the hood and under dash repairs. It has 39 super bright LEDs that put out an incredible 1000-lumens which is sufficient to illuminate your work area. This work light also features 2 super strong magnets on each end that allows you to attach it to any ferrous metal surface. The rubber end casings can be used when using the attachable magnetic adhesives for non-metal surfaces. It has a durable extruded aluminum base that can hold up to the toughest environments. It has a lightweight body that makes it easy to transport in tool bags or backpacks. The light is perfect for camping, power failures and situations where lighting is limited.
- It’s lightweight and durable.
- It has five operating modes.
- It’s versatile and can be used for camping and power failures.
- Li-ion technology means this light will be ready whenever you need it.
- This battery on this work light isn’t that durable.
Why we like it: This work light has low power consumption, a sealed on/off switch, and can be used as an under hood work light besides being used indoors and outdoors.
The Snap-on 922261 work light offers a 2000-lumens LED work light featuring durable super bright LEDs that do not need replacing. This work light has low power consumption and can be used indoors and outdoors so long as it’s a dry location. It has adjustable angle knobs that make it easy to tilt this light, while an ergonomic padded carry handle makes it convenient to move around the garage. Since it uses low energy, it stays surprisingly cool to the touch. In total, there are 46 LEDs on this light and it has a color temperature of 5000K. This work light comes with a 6-foot cord with a grounded three-prong plug.
- It produces very low heat. There’s no chance of overheating.
- It’s adjustable.
- There’s a sealed on/off switch.
- It consumes less power.
- It’s versatile.
- It’s not as bright as other lights.
- Some reviewers have complained that it fails after a few months.
Why we like it: This LED work light can be easily installed in many places since it features a 25-foot cord with plug.
The Ustellar 10,000-Lumen LED work light produces super bright light for illuminating your workspace with 2 brightness levels. You can adjust its brightness infinitely from 50W to 100W by the switch depending on your requirements in different conditions. It features a 25-foot long cord that makes it easy to install in many places where you need a bright work light. It has an IP65 sealed on/off switch that’s greatly suitable for indoor and outdoor dry locations. It has an adjustable angle knobs that allow easy tilting of the light. The fixture has been designed with a fin-type heat sink, which means it acts like a radiator to dissipate heat.
- It’s available in a variety of brightness.
- It has been competitively priced based on lumens.
- It has a long power cord.
- It can rotate and tilt.
- It has an IP65 sealed on/off switch that’s waterproof.
- The range of tilt motion is limited.
- It gets warm.
- The on/off switch is awkward to use for some.
Why we like it: The Bayco has been equipped with bright LEDs that produce light lasting 35,000 hours and is impact, moisture, and chemical resistant.
The Bayco SL-864 offers a more versatile option and includes a metal reel with a 50-foot cord. The light has been durability and safety tested for the toughest conditions and is designed in the USA with quality materials. The length of the actual light measures 14.3-inches. A mounting bracket is included for the heavy-duty retractable metal reel. However, the light isn’t super bright and it doesn’t cover a big area. It does a great job of illuminating your engine bay if you’re hanging it from your hood. While it’s convenient to have a retractable cord, some users to say it feels “cheap” and it’s the biggest disappointment for some.
- Added versatility with the retractable cord and reel system.
- It’s a long lasting light.
- It features a long 50-foot cord.
- It has magnetic attachments for hands-free use.
- The light isn’t that bright.
- The retractable cord feels cheap.
Why we like it: The Dewalt DCL050 features 3 bright LED lights that can illuminate any dark work area or your engine bay
This LED work light provides a solid, bright, portable work light that’s also reasonably priced. It comes with 2 brightness settings: 500-lumens and 250-lumens, which make this light sufficiently versatile, whether you need maximum light output or long-term run time. The Dewalt portable work light also has a pivoting head so you can conveniently direct the light to whatever position you need it. There’s also a built-in telescoping head and a 360-degree rotating hook for hanging. It has a rechargeable battery with maximum 20-volts and 18-volts nominal. The battery life is fantastic with 22-hours of maximum run time.
- It’s portable and has a pivoting head to conveniently direct light.
- It has a rechargeable battery.
- The battery has a great runtime of about 22-hours.
- It’s versatile with 2 brightness settings.
- Some reviewers have complained that it’s not as bright.
Why we like it: This under hood work light bar has spring-loaded clamps that can accommodate hoods up to 66-inches wide. Its 40 surface-mount diodes light up the entire engine bay, and when finished with your work, you can juice it up to full charge in about six hours.
The Aain LT002 Professional Under Hood work light bar has superior bright 1400-lumens and 40 SMD LEDs that gives complete engine bay illumination. It features a very robust design with built-in spring, loaded telescopic mounting brackets, and softly padded hooks that provide good protection against mounting surfaces. The light source rotates within clamps to direct as required. It has a foldable design for easy storage when not in use. This includes a foldable light bar, AC/DC adapter, and a 12-volt car charger. It has a 7.4-Volt 2.2AH Lithium-Ion battery with a charging time of 6 hours and an operations time of 3.5 hours. This battery can be charged using an AC/DC adapter and a 12-volt car charger.
- It comes with a 12-volt charger.
- It’s comparable to more expensive brands.
- It has a robust design with built-in springs.
- The softly padded hooks provide good protection against mounting surfaces.
- It has a rechargeable battery which offers sufficient operation time.
- The charging port has been inconveniently placed.
Why we like it: This is a versatile option for those who want to illuminate more than an engine bay. You can mount it on a hood, of course, but its two lights also detach from the base to become handheld wands with their own hooks that you can hang anywhere.
The NextLED Detachable under hood work light utilizes COB LED technology brings you 1500-lumen maximum brightness at the highest lumen per watt efficiency. This enables you to illuminate the whole engine components all at once. This has the longest length in the category with 48-inches to 77-inches maximum length. It has a retractable design helps you to fit any hood size. With foam cushioned protective end hooks, you can be sure that the hook will not scratch or damage the vehicle. It has two detachable work lights, both with their own hooks, you can hang them anywhere you want. Essentially you are getting 2 nights for the price of 1. Both lights can be rotated 360-degrees when hanging the frame. The design ensures that you can illuminate the entire space all at once. It has a big capacity battery with 8000mAh that provides 3 hours of run time on high and 6 hours on low. It has fast charging cable that enables you to fully charge in just 4 hours. This light can be used as maintenance lamps, camping lamps, or warning lights.
- The brackets fold for compact storage.
- The foam on hooks protects the paint.
- There are two brightness settings available: 1500 (high) and 750 (low) lumens.
- It produces the brightest lights to illuminate your engine bay.
- It requires 2 separate chargers.
Why we like it: The high performing Astro Pneumatic Tool 12SL work light produces up to 400-Lumens and it’s as tough as it can get to ensure that it can withstand regular abuse.
This under hood work light produces 400-lumens of light from 12 XL SMD LEDs while maintaining the same ½-inch thick nearly indestructible design. The light also has a powerful neodymium magnet and adjustable position bracket that makes it possible to use the light hands-free. It features a VLight switch found on the back of the light for convenience. You can put half power, full power, and hold it to shut off. The 3.7-volt 2400mAH Li-Polymer rechargeable battery has a 1000x life cycle and comes with an integrated PCM to prevent overcharging. The charger features current protection, input reversal protection, overcharge protection, and temperature control protection.
- It has a nearly indestructible design to withstand regular abuse.
- It produces 400-Lumens of light for maximum illumination.
- You can clamp it anywhere using the ultra-strong neodymium magnet with an included bracket.
- The switch is located on the back for convenience.
- It has a rechargeable battery that has an integrated PCM to prevent overcharging.
- The magnetic mount won’t stay clipped to the light.
Why we like it: This versatile work light is a great choice for automotive enthusiasts and DIYers in need of a convenient, lightweight kit.
The Hallomall 15W work light is portable, versatile, and bright making it a great choice for home mechanics, campers, and workers. It’s not too small nor too big, but large enough to illuminate any dark area. It’s lightweight and compact enough to be carried around. Thanks to its sturdy little stand, it can also be put onto the ground or hanged wherever convenient. It has 2 blue and 2 red flashing LED lights plus 20 white LED lights, offering bright illumination for a variety of tasks. There are 2 built-in rechargeable lithium batteries with 2 USB ports, meaning you can use the unit as a battery charger for a mobile device.
- It’s lightweight and compact enough to be carried around.
- It has a sturdy little stand that allows it to be put onto the ground or hanged wherever convenient.
- It has a rechargeable battery meaning you can use the unit to charge your mobile devices.
- It’s versatile and can be used for camping, hunting, and automotive works.
- The light isn’t as bright.
Why we like it: With the tough ABS body on this under hood work light, it will withstand all the accidental fall and bumping into things when working.
The Daway W6 Cordless LED work light is made of ABS impact resistance material, with 39 pieces white and 24 pieces red LED lamp beads. These produce up to 700-Lumens of high brightness. The material is resistant to wear, corrosion, and radiation. It’s safe and easy to use with a leakage protection switch and a non-slip handle. It comes with a 5000mAH large capacity Lithium-Ion battery with a work time of up to 7 hours. You can charge it using a free AC and can be car charged by USB device and in-vehicle cigarette lighter. It has a 360-degree rotating folding hook with the back having a strong magnet that can easily attach to any metal allowing you to have a hands-free operation. You can use it in any weather since it’s also waterproof. The Daway can not only be used as an automotive work light, garage work light, it’s also great for outdoor lighting, emergency lighting among others.
- It has a durable construction.
- The material used is resistant to wear and corrosion.
- It’s safe, easy, and comfortable to use.
- The folding hook and strong magnet allow for hands-free usage.
- It has a very short battery life.
Why we like it: This LED work light has an ergonomic non-slip grip design for comfortable holding and a 20-pound magnet for hands-free use. The LED housing is recessed for impact resistance.
The AlltroLite Hornet 500 Lumen under hood work light can provide an impressive 10-hours of light when you have it at the half power mode. This is the best option for a person factoring in long run time when buying a work light. Being durable and bright, this work light is perfect for everything from emergency car repairs, garage and shop use, and even outdoor and camping. The strong polycarbonate housing provides extra safety measures even in the toughest conditions. It features the latest 500-Lumens COB led and aluminum deep-dish parabolic which outputs an incredibly long-range targeting beam of up to 60 meters. You can affix the light to any ferrous surface, set the desired angle, and lock the angle with the tension ring. It comes with a powerful magnetic base and a swivel hook. The built-in 3000mAh Li-Ion battery can be recharged using a wall adapter and micro-USB cable.
- It has a rechargeable battery.
- It’s also very easy to use.
- It comes with a powerful magnetic base for hands-free usage.
- It produces sufficient light to illuminate even the tightest of spaces.
- It produces a long-range targeting beam of up to 60 meters.
- The charging terminals get loose making it difficult to recharge the battery.
Why we like it: The Central Tools 13003 features an extra thick, shatterproof bulb housing that helps protect the unit from shocks, drops, and dings from tools.
This underhood light comes with a LightPerch that self-adjusts to fit any size of the vehicle, including compact cars and light-duty trucks. The LightPerch opens from 4-feet to 6-feet 6-inches for self-adjustment. It has a 25-watt fluorescent bulb that allows you to illuminate your vehicle’s engine. It gives hands-free lighting for the entire engine compartment using the LightPerch mounting system. The fluorescent bulb is housed in an extra thick shatterproof bulb with a 25-inch long cord. It’s not quite heavy to handle and comes with a 3-month warranty. You also don’t have to worry about your battery running down because the Central Tools has a cord that you can connect to an AC outlet to provide continuous illumination.
- It’s corded providing continuous illumination.
- It can fit any size of the vehicle using the self-adjustable Light-Perch.
- It’s durable since the bulb is housed in a shatterproof and extra-thick casing.
- It comes with a 3-month warranty.
- It stays cool even after extended use.
- It can also be used for interior work.
- Some reviewers have complained that the hangers are quite inadequate.
Why we like it: The Luminar Work features a recessed hook that folds away for easy storage, while the detachable magnetic stretch cord offers alternative attachment options.
This under hood work light is a rechargeable unit that is perfect for when you need a low-profile lighting solution for repairs. The Luminar Work has 120 bright white LED lamps with two brightness settings that allow you to get a clear view in dark engine compartments. It has a detachable magnetic stretch cord on both ends that attach to retractable cords, giving this LED under hood work light a wide choice of mounting options. It has a recessed hook that folds away for easy storage whereas the tube has been made of shatterproof polycarbonate material. This work light has a Li-Ion battery that can be recharged using the 12-volt cigarette lighter adapter and a 120-volt wall adapter. This means that you can easily use this under hood work light in the shop, garage, driveway, and for emergency repairs.
- It has a rechargeable battery.
- It features a detachable magnetic stretch giving you a wide choice of mounting options.
- It has a recessed hook for easy storage.
- The tube has been made from a shatterproof polycarbonate material.
- The battery doesn’t last as long as advertised.
Why we like it: The TruePower 120 LED conveniently folds in half for easy storage and transportation. It has extendable end clamps that allow you to mount it almost anywhere.
This under hood work light from TruePower is suitable for a wide range of applications, such as automotive work, commercial use, hunting, camping, boating, and more. This cordless light bar has a built-in battery that can be easily recharged from AC/DC using chargers included. This allows for the elimination of any annoying hanging cables and allows for hands-free work. The 120 surface mount diode LEDs provide extreme brightness to sufficiently illuminate your engine and working space. You can easily fold it in half for easy storage and transportation. It has dual spring-loaded grippers with 49-1/2-inch to 66-1/2-inch capacity built into the cradle. Moreover, the extendable end clamps allow you to mount it virtually anywhere.
- It has a strong spring-loaded grippers.
- This cordless light bar includes AC/DC charging adapters.
- You can easily store it and transport it by folding it in half.
- It can be mounted virtually anywhere using the extendable end clamps.
- It’s versatile and can be used for a wide range of applications aside car repairs.
- The cheap plastic parts break easily.
Why we like it: While not primarily intended for engine work, this work light is a compact and portable option that can nevertheless help you peer into dark compartments.
This affordable LED work light comes with 26 super bright LEDs that will provide more than enough light whether you are working in a dark garage or your backyard. Besides, it’s also a very convenient and versatile unit as it can run both corded and cordless. It can operate with a cord or off its battery when an outlet is out of reach. The light allows you to choose from three modes which are high, low and flashing and the LEDs can deliver up to 500-Lumens. It comes with a handy 360-degree carabiner hook. Also, it has a magnetic base that lets you support it on metal surfaces for hands-free use. It has a rubber over the mold and shatterproof design with a pivot tube that allows the BarFlex to be tilted backward and forward directing illumination upward or downward.
- It has an articulated joint that helps direct light.
- It has a magnetic base that attaches to metal.
- It’s very convenient and versatile as it can run both cordless and corded.
- It has 3 modes to choose from.
- It delivers up to 500-Lumens for maximum illumination.
- The beam can be a little narrow.
Why we like it: This under hood work light features a swivel hook and a magnetic base allowing you to use the five different working modes in different scenarios.
The convenient work light can be used in several different ways to bring much-needed light to any project the user is working on. It has a swivel hook and a magnetic base that allows it to be used in different scenarios. This means that it can be hung from the hood of the vehicle or can be attached to any metallic surface to cast light where needed. The Coquimbo Rechargeable work light has five different working modes: high, medium, red warning, strobe red and a front light that allows it to be not only used for working on your car but can be used for a variety of camping and emergency needs. Other features found on this light include a head that rotates 360-degrees, a rechargeable battery and a design that’s waterproof up to IP65 standards. Besides, this work light has been made of hard rubber, anti-sweat, and anti-slip material with an aluminum head that dissipates the heat effectively.
- It’s rechargeable.
- It’s been made from durable material.
- It has an aluminum head for heat dissipation.
- It features a swivel hook and a magnetic base for use in different scenarios.
- It has five different working modes.
- It doesn’t have great battery life.
Why we like it: This LED work light features a unique design that spans up to a 78-inch wide hood, yet takes up less than 18-inches of space in your toolbox.
The Performance Tool W2404 LED light has been equipped with retractable cables that allow it to be used on a hood that’s up to 78-inches wide, but can be retracted so it will fit into most toolboxes. This convenient work light is suitable for any DIY auto mechanic. It has padded hooks to prevent scratching the hood and has magnets on the back that make it extremely versatile. It has wide angle LED lights that provide up to 500-lumens of light. This is more than enough to illuminate any engine compartment. Since this unit is powered by a Li-Ion battery, it can be recharged anytime by being directly plugged into an outlet or charged via a USB cable. The performance tool has also been counterbalanced to always shine light downward where you need it.
- It’s been counterbalanced to always shine light downward where you need it.
- It features wide angled LED lights to illuminate a wide area.
- The LED lights provide up to 500-lumens of light.
- It can be recharged easily using a USB cable.
- It can easily fit inside a toolbox.
- The battery life doesn’t last that long.
Why we like it: This under hood work light has been designed in a compact size that is easy to carry around in a toolkit. Aside from car repairs, you can use this under hood work light for fishing, camping, traveling, and home use.
This extremely powerful COB LED light provides a 120-degree angle beam and 200-Lumens of light to the inside of just about anyone’s engine compartment. It has a convenient stand that can be used to hang it from a bungee cord or other such hanger and can also be used as a stand that holds it upright. The AlltroLite Work Lit has a powerful magnetic base and is designed to be compact enough to not only be used under the hood but to also be used for camping, fishing, hunting or for emergency use. Its high-quality LED lights have an average lifespan of 100,000-hours and this light can provide up to 12-hours of light on only 4 AAA batteries.
- The 200-lumen floodlights provide sufficient brightness.
- This work light has a wide beam angle for larger light coverage.
- It has a strong magnetic base and adjustable swivel folding stand allowing for hands-free operation.
- It’s portable and can be used for car repair and other activities like fishing.
- You can easily replenish power anytime with the batteries included.</li
- The remote distance is less than 2-feet making it useless.
Why we like it:The Steelman Pro features an ultra-slim work light design that’s only ¼-inch thick to fit into tight spaces that other flashlights cannot.
Although the Steelman Pro isn’t specifically marketed as an under hood work light, its design allows it to be used in that way. It’s only a quarter of an inch thick, so it can be used in even tight areas and provides up to 400-Lumens of light at the push of a button. It doesn’t come with a way to attach this unit to a hood, but some people choose to purchase the Steelman Pro 78751 magnetic hook to attach this unit to their car hood. An interesting feature of this light is that it can be turned into a UV inspection light by pressing a toggle switch. This UV light feature allows automotive professionals to more easily spot Freon leaks. It has an anodized aluminum casing and high-impact polycarbonate LED lens cover, which is all weather resistant. This work light comes with a 18650 style rechargeable lithium-ion battery with custom connectors.
- It has a durable casing in the form of an anodized aluminum casing.
- The casing is weather resistant.
- It comes with a rechargeable battery.
- It can be turned into a UV inspection light allowing professionals to easily spot Freon leaks.
- The charging system is upside down and backward as far as logic goes.
Why we like it: The SuiTech LED light bar features a retractable and foldable design that allows you to aim the light in any direction, and to store it nicely inside your vehicle’s trunk or discreetly at your workplace.
Dark engine compartments are a thing of the past with this innovative power source. It can be adjusted from 52-inches all the way to 72-inches, so it will fit the hood of any vehicle it’s used on. This product also has spring-loaded legs that allow it to be used vertically to cast light on other projects besides what’s in the engine compartment. This light is extremely portable and can be taken anywhere and will easily provide up to 3-hours of light on high, 5-hours of light on low or more than 20-hours of light on twinkle mode. It can also be easily charged using an included 110- to 240-volt AC/DC wall power adapter or with a car power adapter.
- You can easily charge this work light anywhere with the wall power adapter.
- It has a retractable and foldable design to allow aiming of light in any direction.
- It has an adjustable length allowing it to fit under every hood.
- You can easily carry it anywhere and store it inside your vehicle’s trunk.
- The battery life isn’t that great on this under hood work light.
Why we like it: The Neiko work light has an 8,000 mAh large capacity rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery that provides 3 hours of run time on high mode and 6 hours on low mode.
Equipped with over 200 LED bulbs, this work light is able to produce up to 1,200-Lumens of extremely bright light. This light is so bright it can be used even in absolute darkness to do night car repairs. These lights are housed in a Polycarbonate housing and lens which ensures that this unit is as durable as it can practically be. It can easily be adjusted from 47-inches to 76-inches, to fit any size hood, and it has cushioned hooks that prevent it from damaging the finish of the vehicle while it’s being used. It also has two magnetic hooks for hanging that are detachable, so this unit can be used in tight spaces. The rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery provides 3 hours of run time on high mode and 6 hours on low mode. You can charge it using the UL/CUL certified charger.
- It features two detachable magnetic hooks that provide flexibility of having illumination in cramped, awkward workspaces.
- It has impact resistant polycarbonate light housing and lens to ensure maximum durability.
- It has a weather resistant design that stands up to extended daily use.
- It has foam cushioned protective hooks that won’t scratch or damage the vehicle finish.
- The battery life is not that great.
Why we like it: : The Astro 40SL Lumen Light features a dial adjustment that allows you to set the amount of light and battery life your tasks need, from dim to a blinding 410 lumens.
This work light has a number of features which make it a useful tool to have around just about any garage. This unit has a swivel base that can cast light where it’s needed and a magnetic base that allows it to be attached to metallic objects. It has a variable light control switch that easily allows the light to go from a very low light setting to an extremely bright setting that produces 410-Lumens of light. It can be used for approximately 2.5-hours on high mode and up to 10-hours on 5% power mode. This light can easily be charged with any micro-USB cable and is designed to be used in dirty and harsh conditions.
- It can be easily charged using the micro-USB cable.
- It has a swivel magnet with muscle that is strong enough to attach to even the dirtiest uneven surfaces.
- It has a dial adjustment for variable light output.
- The swivel magnet base allows you to easily cast light where it’s needed.
- It has a really poor battery life.
Why we like it: The Neiko 40464A features a handheld, portable stick design with impact resistant aluminum housing and industrial grade polycarbonate lens that delivers on durable protection for the lighting unit.
Work lights are often used in dirty, greasy and harsh environments, so it’s often important that light is as durable as it‘s bright. The Neiko Cordless LED work light provides the user with both durability and brightness. It has a polycarbonate lens and aluminum housing that ensures it’s impact resistant and also resistant to grease and oil. It has a large capacity battery that allows it to run for extended periods of time and 60 bright LED lights that allow it to generate up to 350-Lumens of light. This work light can also be easily charged using a USB cable and either a car adapter or a wall adapter. It comes with other accessories such as a magnetic mounting base and a 360-degree swivel hook for hands-free use in emergency trouble, car repairs, and camping.
- The 60 super bright LEDs generate 350-Lumens of light for superior illumination.
- It has a large capacity battery to run for extended periods of time.
- It can be easily charged using a USB cable and a car or wall adapter.
- It allows for hands-free usage when doing car repairs.
- It has a sturdy design.
- It doesn’t have a long battery life and you’ll need to replace it within a short time.
Why we like it: : The ATD Tools under hood work light features a 25-foot cord that connects to an AC outlet ensuring that you do not lose light while working on your car.
Everything a person could want out of an under hood car light can be found in this unit. It has a super bright 30-watt fluorescent bulb for excellent area illumination. It’s made from extremely durable components that allow it to be safely used in both amateur and professional garages. It’s also extendable from 47-inches all the way to 75-inches. This allows it to be used with just about any hood in existence. Another great feature of the ATD Tool work light is its soft ends which have been covered in foam to prevent them from scratching the user’s paint while it’s being used. Since this unit has a 25-foot cord, the user never has to worry about losing light as long as an AC outlet is within range.
- Telescoping and ratcheting brackets allow for perfect positioning of light.
- It has soft, foam covered ends on a telescoping bracket that allow the use on hoods without damage to paint.
- It has a 25-foot cord that connects to an AC outlet for continuous lighting.
- It has a durable construction.
- Some reviewers have complained that the bulb is not that bright.
Guide to Buying the Best Under Hood Work Lights
The above 30 under hood work lights featured in this review are some of the best work lights that will give you value for your money. However, they also come with different features and prices. For most car owners, shopping for the best under hood work light can be quite confusing, especially for first-time buyers. Here is what you need to look out for when shopping for an under hood work light.
What to Look for When Shopping for an Under Hood Work Light
There’s a good chance that the under hood work light you are using uses the amazingly efficient LED bulbs. There are some work lights that use traditional incandescent bulbs or fluorescent tubes. If you’re planning to purchase one of those types of work lights, you need to look at the wattage it supports and take into account how long the power cord is.
If the under hood work light uses LED bulbs, you need to pay attention to the lumens specification rather than its wattage. The amount of lumens is actually how much light that particular product will emit. The larger the number, the brighter the light. You also need to take into consideration its temperature where the larger the number, the more blue the shade of light is.
When selecting a product that won’t be a more permanent fixture, look at how much it can be adjusted. Most handheld lights will come with a 360-degree swivel hook, allowing you to hang it from your hood to provide light while you’re working. This ensures error-free work and high-level safety for yous while working on the car. Other work lights will have adjustable brackets that rotate and tilt. Make sure they offer enough adjustability for your work.
The best under hood work lights are a must have if you’re into automotive repair. From the review above, you can tell there are several different types of under hood work lights. The type of work light you choose is entirely up to you and what you need to use it for. Generally, under hood work lights are the most popular and each garage or home could use at least one. From there, you may want to purchase a handheld or adjustable light, one that you can control where it illuminates when you’re working.